1/30/12

Monologue Monday: An Athlete's Wife

Hi everyone! Hope your week is getting off to a great start. So for today’s Monologue Monday post, we have a guest poster who is literally one of the sweetest, most thoughtful people ever. While we haven’t known each other all that long, I am still honored to say that I know her and to call her a friend.

Her blog name is An Athlete’sWife, and you can find her here. I highly recommend that you check her out; not only is she seemingly selfless and constantly encouraging others, she is also definitely the kind of person that you want rooting for you.

Last week, I asked her would she mind telling her story in the hopes of encouraging someone else, and without any hesitation she gladly accepted. Read it and let me know if you too can relate. So here it is (and sorry for blabbering, but I just had to tell you all how awesome she is before I posted her monologue):

Monologue Monday: An Athlete’sWife

I was 17 years old and my boyfriend at the time wanted to have sex. Up until this point I had really been afraid of sex and everything that came along with it. I was afraid to get pregnant. I was afraid to get a disease. I was afraid of the pain that people said came along with it. I was afraid that people would be able to tell. But I did it. I don’t know what made me decide that it was a good idea because it wasn’t. Afterwards I felt dirty and not like myself. 

My parents never really had “the talk” with me. It was more like “You’re not supposed to have sex before marriage.”  The end.  So I knew I wasn’t supposed to, but there was no other information. I mean I believed in God, but I guess I felt like it was no big deal.

 That experience really changed my life.  We didn’t stay together very long… In fact, he cheated on me, but stupidly I took him back. My parents found out and my mom was hurt, but there was still no real talk. My dad just said that he knew I would have sex again, but that I needed to always protect myself.  So there was no real conviction to not have sex.

I didn’t really understand until I was in my twenties, that what I had given away was so special and important. I realized the importance of soul ties and why God intended for sex to be between a husband and a wife. Looking back on it, I really wish I had not given my heart and part of my soul to those that I did. I wish that I understood that I was worth waiting for, and that if a guy rushed to get it, then he would rush on to the next girl. 

 I do feel that God uses everything, good or bad, for a specific purpose in our lives. Had I not gone through that experience, I wouldn’t be able to encourage young women about how important it is to know who they are, know their self-worth, know that their love for a guy is not tied to whether or not she has sex with him, and to know how special God made them.

Waiting is hard, but there are more people waiting than you think. I am currently married to the love of my life, but I can’t help but think how different things would be had we both waited. I definitely thank God for letting us get it right and bringing us together because we are perfect for each other.  We know that God designed for us to become man and wife.

I want to encourage you all in the same way that I would encourage my daughter if I had one. So here are a few of my thoughts:

 You are all beautiful. You are worth waiting for.  If he really loves you, he won’t pressure you. You know that you’re ready for sex if you’re married, live on your own, and pay all of your own bills. You can’t miss it if you haven’t had it.  If you wait until marriage, you won’t have any other experience to compare it to, so it will be the best you ever had J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate ya'll for taking the time to comment. Tell me your thoughts, and I'll try to respond back as soon as possible. Have a good day :)