11/19/12

Monologue Monday: Gratitude

Today’s Monologue Monday post has little to do with dating or relationships, but more so it’s about you and your overall well being. When you think better, you can be better and that in turn impacts every facet of your life.

While there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for Himself, my family and friends, and all that He has blessed me with, in honor of Thanksgiving this week I felt the urge to write a post about something that has had a profound impact on my life: GRATITUDE.
Learning how to be thankful for even the seemingly small things and to take nothing for granted or to feel a sense of entitlement towards anything has made me grateful for everything that I have been given. When I have plenty I am rejoicing, and even when I haven’t had much at all, I have been extremely thankful.
Even when I have been blessed with a simple glass of water, I am grateful because I realize that it is such a gift and just because I have it freely here at home, there are so many countries around the world, some of which I have visited or lived in, where even this basic necessity is not a sure thing.
Because many of us live in a society where plenty abounds, we have grown accustomed to and grown to expect a certain standard of living. And although there is nothing wrong with expecting, sometimes it makes us feel entitled to things which in turn can cause us to take for granted things that others only long for. And regardless of where you live or what privileges that you were raised with, what makes you as a person…as a human being with needs and desires just like anyone else, more deserving or more important than anyone else? The answer is simple: nothing.
You may have extreme wealth, intelligence, beauty, or a myriad of other attributes that allow you to be successful or to experience great privileges within society, but if you haven’t learned to be appreciative of what you have, whether large or small, then you are missing out on one of life’s greatest pleasures: being thankful.
This week and throughout your life, as you reflect upon the things that you are grateful for, start learning how to rejoice and to have gratitude even when someone holds the door open for you or gives you a simple compliment. You will be happier, you will ooze positivity, and you will impact everyone around about you.
Life is so special, and no one owes you anything, so everything that you are given, learn to appreciate it. In short, I guess it all boils down to humility and love….To be able to have gratitude, you need to possess both of these attributes.
Humility because you realize that life itself is a gift and even though you are a very special human being, there is nothing so special about you that makes you a gift to life. And because of this truth, even the shoes on your feet (whether they are Christian Louboutin or strings tied around some cloth), you should be grateful just to have them.
Love because it is compassion and kindness at its finest.
Thus, whether you are living in a palace, or you are looking to find a home, learn to give thanks for something everyday. Even if the only thing that you can think of to give thanks for is that you are alive, be grateful that you still have breath because someone somewhere didn’t make it through the night last night.
Learn to be grateful for everything…It will literally change your life for the better.

P.S. Later on in the week I plan on coming back and sharing with you all just a few of the things that I am grateful for. In the mean time, please feel free to comment below and name something that you are grateful for. Have a good week J!

-Virgin Monologuez

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for my family and friends (old and new). Through all the ups and downs, especially this year I want to thank the Lord for what He has done for me. Where there is a Will there is a Way. God can make Anything happen. Have a great thanksgiving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you @Anonymous. I hope you have a great Thanksgiviing as well. I too am EXTREMELY grateful for my family and friends...they make my life so much better!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate ya'll for taking the time to comment. Tell me your thoughts, and I'll try to respond back as soon as possible. Have a good day :)